February 27, 2007

Tummy Tub Baby Bucket Bath

tummy-tubs.jpg

Here's a unique product that we are having a hard time getting our head around. Huge in Europe, the Tummy Tub Baby Bucket Bath is supposed to remind your newborn of the womb. The baby stays in a fetal position, stays warmer as the water level is higher than a bath, and the site claims it can even help settle babies down and help them sleep. I've never tried it, but I really can't imagine putting a newborn in this. Maybe a 3 month old child, but a baby that can't even keep it's head up? Just the thought makes me nervous.

At Tummy Tub Baby Bucket Bath

Read More in: Bath Time

Share this Article with others: social bookmarking

Related Articles:

Came straight to this page? Visit Super Cool Baby for all the latest news.

Posted by Laura at February 27, 2007 9:19 AM
Recent Comments

What a stupid, ignorant, scaremongering comment from a supposed healthcare professional- this is exactly why people are criticising Americans on here! Is 'critical care nurse' education in the USA so poor that you don't know a baby/small child can drown in less than 2 inches of water ANYWHERE, if left unsupervised? You should NEVER leave a little one unsupervised in or near water- bath or otherwise. Having said that, LOOK at the picture, people, think, and try to get over your irrational fear of anything new. How exactly is that baby going to get its head or face under the water if supervised properly? If you are there with him/her as you should be, even if your hands slip, the tub itself supports the baby in an upright position- so it is much less likely that this will happen. It should be filled appropriate to the size & age of the baby, exactly as a conventional baby bath. (Would you say that conventional baby baths should not be sold in case people overfill them??) I am both an experienced nursery nurse and a mother myself, and have used both this and conventional-style baths. This product does look a little strange, but in my opinion it is safer than a conventional baby bath, as well as more pleasant for the baby. The only criticism I have is, as someone else pointed out, it's a little more difficult to 'wash' your baby as there is a lot less space. Its ideal for newborns & younger babies though who don't require a lot of washing/soap etc. anyway. There is more than enough room for your hands/arms to support a small baby's head in this bath. I'd definitely recommend it as ideal for babies (and nervous/first-time parents!) up to 6 months, and often far beyond.

Posted by: Ruth at November 13, 2009 8:12 AM

What happened to the concept of swaddling? This baby bucket scares me to death. There are too many morons out there that would not use this properly and let the infant drown. As a pediatric critical care nurse it terrifies me that this would even be on the market. While it may simulate the womb, and soothe the baby, without proper education to parents it seems like a dangerous item to be offered. I wonder what are the statistics for infant drownings in other countries that use this as compared to the United States?

Posted by: Sammie at October 19, 2009 1:35 PM

I believe the people that are making statements about Americans and Westerners are NOT saying that we (I'm an American) are worse parents and therefore more likely to leave the child. They are saying that lawsuit-happy Westerners would then turn around and sue for their mistake.

Posted by: Cathy at May 7, 2009 6:34 PM

Disregard my last statement. I found it.

Posted by: Happygrandmother at May 1, 2009 10:48 PM

My daughter-n-law just gave birth today to my 6 lb. 4oz. grandson and I love the whole idea of the Tummy Tub. I wish I had something like this when my children were born. I will definitely buy one. Please tell me where I can purchase it.

Posted by: Happygrandmother at May 1, 2009 10:43 PM

I will definitely be buying one of these tubs! What a fantastic idea! And re: the previous posts, while there are good and bad parents all over the world, I doubt that any are as litigious as Americans. The risk of litigation due to blatant misuse of the tub immediately came to mind when I read about the product. I am a American civil defense lawyer and I see on a daily basis that Americans ARE lawsuit-happy!

Posted by: Lynn at May 1, 2009 8:31 PM

I used a similar product for my babies- it’s called the washPOD and was designed by a company in California called Prince Lionheart. It’s a similar concept, but it has a wider base for additional stability and comfortable handles so it’s easier to carry. They are great for fussy babies especially when they have colic! It also doubles as a great place to keep your baby wash when not in use. I highly recommend it! you can pick them up for half the price of the tummy tub on amazon, toys r us, and the company's website. http://www.princelionheart.com/

Posted by: werdsmith at May 1, 2009 6:21 PM

This makes perfect sense to me. Their limbs aren't flailing around which startles newborns and they're sitting up so it's easier to support their heads. But I agree with the poster who pointed out that there are bad parents the world over so the nasty comments about Americans are not appreciated.

Posted by: Paula at May 1, 2009 5:38 PM

All the baby's photographed are old enough to be able to sit up and support their heads. Does it work for newborns - do you have to support their heads the entire time? They look pretty cramped in there, is there actually room to wash them?

Posted by: momtothree at May 1, 2009 4:54 PM

For all the people who posted that were so critical of American parents and Westerners, get over yourselves. You have good and bad parents in your country as well that could misuse this product. If you don't believe that, you are as small minded as you are ignorant.

Posted by: Jen at May 1, 2009 4:21 PM

i dont have a child of my own but i do have a large family so i am often baby sitting cousins. some of my cousins has a tummy tub others do not. In all honest i dont see the difference when i bathe them, and as far as the kids drowning or their heads going under-- no kid should be left unsupervised in a tub until they are seven. if youre watching and bathing the baby that shouldnt be a problem.

Posted by: Ruth at March 21, 2009 11:54 PM

I recently bought one from Bathed With Love (http://www.bathedwithlove.com) and find it to be the most incredible tub for my 2 month old! I don't understand the complaints because I have nothing but praise! I am going to get one for my sister who is due with her first in July.

Posted by: Marie at February 12, 2009 10:16 AM

I am a children's nurse from England and have used these tubs with babies of all ages- they are much more natural for the baby and less scary for them. As long as you aren't planning on leaving the baby unattended- as in this case you probably shouldn't be allowed to have children anyway!

Posted by: ruth at August 2, 2008 7:11 AM

My sister lives in Turkey - her German midwife recommended this for her newborn daughter. My niece has used the tummy tub daily since she was 4 days old and LOVES it! After seeing how much her baby likes it, I picked up a regular bucket for my (slightly older) baby. She liked it, but it was a bit too small. Highly, highly recommend the tummy tub. Makes bathing a soothing experience for little ones, instead of a scary thing that makes them cold.

Posted by: JoannD at August 16, 2007 12:49 PM

We sell the tummy tub here in the US and have had nothing but rave reviews. Our daughter who is almost two still loves hers as much as she did when she was a week old. This is a wonderful product that we feel fortunate to have at our store!

Posted by: Kat East at July 20, 2007 11:15 AM

I borrowed the tummie tub from my aunt whose daughter got it in germany and it was a life saver with my first baby. He was very colicy and this was his only relief and mine as well.

Posted by: christina yoder at April 19, 2007 8:41 PM

I agree with the person who posted that they bought one in Ireland, this is a product that many Westerners (I say not only Americans because I'm Canadian) would misuse, and blame on the wrong people. The site used to have a video on it that actually showed a 2 hour old baby going into a Tummy Tub and he immediatly stopped crying!
To all the people who think the idea of holding their child in a different shaped tub then they're used to, may I remind you that you still need to support a child in another tub. At least in a Tummy Tub the baby is comfortable, and not screaming and kicking because they're cold and don't want to be in a typical tub.
They sell them here in Canada, and I don't know anyone who is unhappy with theirs. They love that they can start using it right after their baby is born, and that they can continue using it for 2-3 years (more if you have a petite child. I know I got mine during pregnancy, and my 2 year old wanted to get in it every day. When the baby was born, he loved that he had something to share with her... they both loved the bath!
I hope people can keep an open mind and find what's really best for their kids, instead of just what the fad is.

Posted by: mom2many at March 19, 2007 9:54 PM

The Tummy Tub is actually extremely comfortable and safe for ALL babies. My wife and I bought one for our newborn on our last trip to Ireland and it is magnificent.
If a newborn's head goes underwater, then 1) you're not watching the child, and 2) you filled it too much. There is nothing scary about the Tummy Tub...in fact I wish they sold it here in the US.

But then again, I wish they didn't because someone is bound to mess up, fill it up too much, and not watch their bathing child and when something horrible happens, they will blame the company that makes Tummy Tub instead of blaming themselves.

Posted by: Ballyclogh at March 18, 2007 1:57 PM

Yikes, I've seen this in a Brit mag and i'm still nerve racked seeing this again. It truly looks scary!!

Posted by: MeLiSSa at March 4, 2007 9:50 PM